ACCCIM Survey Reports


Significance of the survey

• To assist the Government in gauging the economic situation facing the Chinese business community.
• To collect feedback and opinion on various measures undertaken by the Government to enable them to evaluate the effectiveness of those measures.
• This study would be helpful to the Government either in making adjustments to the existing policies or in the formulation of new policies.
• The result of the survey would also provide a basis for ACCCIM to submit relevant memoranda to the Government.

Profile of respondents

• The respondents were mainly from wholesale and retail, manufacturing, professional & business services, construction and agriculture, forestry and fishery.
• Nearly 20% of the respondents were from Non-SME (according to annual turnover and full time employees).
• Around 79% of the respondents were domestic market oriented whereas the remaining 21% focused on export (6.9%) or ‘both domestic and export’ markets (14.1%).

Major survey questions and findings

The major survey questions are as follows :

i. Did the Malaysian economy deteriorating, remain unchanged or grow in the 2nd half of 2011 ?

• Sales Performance Displayed A Pick-up in Performance
• Drop in Production Volume
• Marginal Drop in Inventory
• Improved Collections of Payment
• No Significant Increase in New Orders from Overseas Markets
• Improvement in New Local Orders
• Local Sales Prices Relatively Stable
• Unchanged Employment Market
• Wages Were Generally Stable
• Capacity Utilisation Continues to Remain High
• Drop in Investment in New Resources or Plant

The Malaysian economy was seen to have experienced little growth in the 2nd half of 2011

ii. What were the major factors adversely affecting business performances in the 2nd half of 2011 ?

• Domestic competition
• Government policies
• Increase in operating cost and price of raw materials
• Manpower shortage

iii. Are the Chinese business communities optimistic or pessimistic about the Malaysian economic outlook ?

• The Chinese business community is less optimistic about the economic outlook for 2012 but is feeling more upbeat for 2013.

iv. Current issues facing the Chinese businessmen in relation to trade, investment and industrial development in Malaysia.

• 54.5% of the respondents believed that the setting of minimum wages would bring about negative effects on their businesses.
• 71% of respondents believe that ‘My First Home’ scheme would be beneficial to first time house buyers.
• 68% of respondents opined that this financing cap ruling for the purchase of a third house has produced impacts on purchase of houses and construction activities.
• The percentage of respondents who believe the positive effects of 1 Malaysia Housing Programme has dropped from 62% in the 1st half 2011 to 51% in this period of survey.
• A big majority of respondents (70%) continue to believe that 1Malaysia shops will bring adverse effects on the business of the existing small retailers.
• The majority of respondents (58%) opined that the recently announced Budget 2012 is unlikely to have any effect on businesses.
• Non familiarity or the lack of knowledge of the various incentives as provided for in Budget 2012 to assist SMEs.
• The majority of the respondents have expressed their lack of familiarity with the Competition Act 2010.

Download Full Survey Report in Chinese

Download Full Survey Report in English


6th Floor, Wisma Chinese Chamber, 258, Jalan Ampang, 50450 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.


Follow us